Monday, June 8, 2009

5K's are just way to FAST!!

Sunday was perfect, weather wise.   Over the past several months I've run 3 races, 2 half marathons and a marathon.  So my slow twitch muscles are working fairly well.  With Mount Washington Road Race just 2 weeks away I wanted to test my ability to have my heart rate shoot into the stratosphere then settle into a rhythm that stressed me but didn't break me.  So on Friday I combed the pages of Coolrunning.com for a 5K race close to home.  I was lucky, I found 2 races on Sunday that would do the trick.  One at 9 AM in Andover (The Krit Classic 5K) and one at 10:30 in Lowell (Lowell Firefighters 5K).  Then I started thinking that "hey I'm in good shape, if I do Andover and still fell good I can shoot down to Lowell and do a double".  Sometimes I have these types of thoughts go through my head and forget that I'm 50 and the days of doing 5 races in one weekend are long gone.  But I figured why not set myself up for it.

So I left my house at 7 AM and quickly arrived in Andover for the race.  As always I was one of the first people to arrive and was able to sign up in no time.  I checked out the list of runners they had on the wall and quickly realized 2 things.  First, they had over 1000 people already signed up for the race.  That was truly impressive considering it was a first year event.  Second, most of the big guns were down at Rhody's race, which meant I stood a good chance of doing well.  As I watch people file in I didn't recognize a single person.  None of the top guys were here.  However I did spot a group of high school age kids who seemed to be floating down the road warming up.  I hooked up with them and found out that one of them had run in the 9:40's for the 2 mile this spring.  He was the man to beat today.  Not that I had anything to say about it.  In talking to the kids they told me that the course was in a lollipop shape and it was down hill the first mile, leveled off for the 2nd mile and up hill for the third mile.  My take was that this course would maximise pain, pure speed the first mile, a little recovery the 2nd and all pain and suffering the last mile. 

As we lined up the kids took their place in the front row, I settled in off to the side.  A women with an air horn walked up and without uttering a word sounded the horn.  HOLY SH!%@$, what a fast start.  The high school students ran in a pack up front with 2 or 3 older guys tagging along.  I settled in next to this woman who was 5 foot nothing and must have weighted 95 pounds soaking wet.  She had a quick turnover rate.  Her and I battled back and forth the first mile then I just couldn't continue to hold on and let her go.   I hit the mile at 6:01, which for me was fast but I figured I was OK, however my heart rate was through the roof.   I need to settle down the 2nd mile and recover.  I was now running in no mans land and finished up the second mile in 12:21 (6:20 split).  I had slowed considerably.  I need to pull it back together and push the 3rd mile but I was beat and knew that it was all up hill from here.  At this point we were now going by the people who were still running the 1st mile.  The road was packed and car traffic was making it even worst.  At one point I had to yell out to oncoming runner who were not paying attention to what was coming at them.  I hit mile 3 in 19:05 (6:44 split) and all of a sudden I stumbled.   I recovered quickly but lost some momentum.  At this point a young girl (28) had pulled along side of me and was aiming to beat me.  Well it's one thing for a well seasoned women to crush me at the mile marker, but it's a real pride killer to be out kicked by a girl wearing an Ipod.  My legs were not able to sprint at this point so I needed to use another strategy,  I raise my elbows up and every time she tried to get around me I slide in front of her and did not let her pass.  In the end I beat her by less then 1 second and clocked in at 19:48 and ended up 15th over all out off 990 finishers, and 2nd in my age category.  

I was hurting.  I quickly realized that a 2nd race was out of the question.  I could barely walk.   So I just hung out for the results which when they came out and were posted on the wall of the gym, they were in a random order.  We tried to figure out what order they were in but we eliminated the following possibilities,  Race Number, Age, first name, last name, race time, town, and state.  So figuring out how you placed we very difficult for everyone except for the first couple of people.  At the awards ceremony they announced the top 3 in each category then everyone went up at once and was handed their award.  I walked away with a Bauer sweatshirt.  That was the first time I received a hockey item at a road race.  Beggars can't be choosers!!

What did I learn?  I just don't have the turnover that I need for short races.  I need to get to a track once a week and work on my speed.  I can't do more then one race a week.  Lastly I like the acidotic RACING red uniforms.  They are comfortable and there fast looking even if the person wearing them is a slug (that's me). 

8 comments:

  1. A double! I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that!! All good intentions are brought back to earth with a humbling dose of reality, but I applaud you for your effort my friend. You are absolutely right, 5k's ARE too fast. I hear there's a nice 15k this weekend, hint-hint-hint. You could get a triple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I was thinking of doing that race but it's on Saturday morning and I think I have another family commitment. I have to check with the boss. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice elbow strategy. Next time I run with you I will have to remember to bring some football padding and a helmet. Make that 2 helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, A second helmet is not needed. I haven't fallen since that day with you. Then again maybe it was you who tripped me. Bring both helmets! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice run, but stop beating up on the young girls! You ran similar splits to what I did in a 5K yesterday! It is not as fun as it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Racing 5Ks without track workouts is like drinking coffee through a straw. It can be done, but it takes alot longer than it should.

    I haven't thrown an elbow since my high school track days and then they were always directed at guys. Picking on an ipod-wearing woman is bad karma man. Scotty, this is why women trip you on training runs. It's a sisterhood. Watch your back man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, you're right. What happen to the days when we used to float through 5K's. In fact 5K's were for wimps. If given a choice at a race 5K or 10K, the "real" runners always choose the 10K's.

    Dan, I hear you man. I guess I have two options. 1. not race anymore. 2. get faster so I don't have to throw elbows. Given those two choices and what my body is telling me, I may end up choosing option 1. NAH!!! Option 2 it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5K's I recall when this was not even a road race distance. Sure you could do 5000m on the track, but there were no 5K road races at all. Now they are everywhere. But, the good thing is they are over quickly!

    ReplyDelete