Monday, May 18, 2009

Did a sweet trail run on Sunday

Trail running is not my thing. I tend to turn ankles, fall or just get tuckered out. The plan was to hook up with 4 other ROAGites in Groton at the end of Cow Pond Road to run the trails. I had planned on racing Sunday but family commitments prevented me from doing so.

The trails we were to run I've run before but only in snowshoes. In fact it the same set of trails that my wife and I got lost on and I had to ditch the SS and run back on the roads to get the car. For some reason my wife has not gone snowshoeing since. Go figure!

The 5 of us headed out and quickly got ourselves up onto an ester that was a lot of fun. After doing a loop and retracing some steps we were heading across the street for some trails that were new to me. These trails were made by mtn bikers and it showed. They were very technical and were constantly turning. This trail also featured many rock formation climbs and descents. I was very nervous on the rocks because rock, moss and rain make for some very poor footing.

I managed to stay upright the entire run but one person wasn't so lucky. David K. went crashing to the ground right in front of me. He popped up quickly and was uninjured. We finished up with 5.6 miles of trail running in 54 minutes. Not fast but it was nice to be out.

1 comment: