Monday, June 22, 2009

NEVER, EVER, AGAIN!!!

Photo by Scott Mason

I want all my friends to go out to their garage and get a 2 x 4 and write my name on it. If I ever sign up for the Mt Washington road race again I want you ALL to use it on me. I don't want the 2 x 4's used to knock some sense into me, I want you to use them to knock me out completely. I've had tough days running before and I'm sure I'll have more in the future but the pain and suffering that goes on during this race is truly unmatched.

If you've been reading my blog, you'd know that I had a plan to run 1:29 which would have been right in line with my last 2 half marathons. My plan also had me staying in my own bed, in Gilford, NH which is only 1:40 away from the start. I had also pre-arranged my ride down the mountain. I pre-purchased all my food for breakfast. I had my sleek acidotic RACING gear all laid out. I was READY.

The morning of the race, everything went like clock work. David Katz had stayed with me over night and we planned to leave my place at 6 AM to head for the mountain. At 5:58 we were out the door. With one quick bio break we arrived at the mountain at 7:45 and secured a parking spot close to the tent and porta-potties. This spot turned into a super location because almost everyone had to go by us to get to the tent. One of the first people we encountered was Everett McBride who was running his 28th consecutive. Then there was Bill Morse who was also on his 28th. These guy's are NUTS!!

At 8:30 we hooked up with our ride down the mountain, a lady by the name of Mim Nelson. I had contacted her through the Mt Washington web forum. She was the best ride ever. She took our bags and once we reached the top had everything waiting for us. Best of all she was a safe driver.

Next was a quick warm up run. David and I did an easy 1 mile run down rt 16. Of course David needed another bio break at the turn around point. David must have emptied his blatter 6 times before the start of the race. I was in trouble. Always bet on a race horse that relieves himself before the start of a race. Me on the other hand was in some pain, my back was once again killing me. Why does this happen to me at this race?

With 15 minutes to go before the start we headed over to the start line. I ran into Double-J and we compare times of who arrived at the race first. I'm proud to say that I beat him again. This is getting too easy. Come on Jim give me a challenge.

David and I lined up 4 or 5 rows from the start. As we lined up I kept telling myself to take it easy and don't get caught up in the start. Bob, the race director made the final announcements and warned us that we would be running in a cloud for most of the race but the top was clear and the good news was "there was only one hill"!!

The cannon was fired and we were off. Holy SHAT that cannon is loud and the concussion hits you like a brick wall. Anyway we started down the small hill to the flats of the race. I looked down at my watch and it told me I was running 6:30 per mile. This race was way to easy. David was right at my side. Then it happened, the road turned, not left, not right, but UPPPP!!! Within 100 yards on the hill my heart rate was already up to 180. I was red lining and I wasn't even a half mile into the race. By the 3/4 mile mark I was reduced to a pile of jello and was forced to walk to regroup. This was going to be a long day. At the mile marker I could see David already had 100 yards on me and was running strong. Mile 2 brought more of the same. I kept battling the mountain mile after mile but I just couldn't keep the running going. At mile 2 the legendary Steve Peterson passed me, and David was now out of sight.

Mile 3, David Lapierre passed me. I tried to strike up a conversation with him but he was way down deep inside himself and wasn't uttering a word. At the halfway point I was at 45:02. Slower then I wanted to be but a 1:30 was still possible. However I was suffering. Walking was now painful. I was not alone. It seemed that everyone around me was doing the exact same thing I was, run a little, walk a little, run a little, walk a lot. Back and forth a we battled all the way up the mountain. At mile 6 I could hear a guy coming up behind me who made more groaning noises then anyone I've ever heard. It was a relief when he finally passed me. At this point we had just poked through the clouds and it was absolutely beautiful out. We were up above the clouds and the view was spectacular. At least that's what they tell me. All I could see was my feet on the ground as my head hung down while I continued my slow tutelage up the mountain.

Mile 7 passed by and I could see the top of the mountain. Time to push it to the top. I gathered all the strength I had left and gave it one more push. Going up the wall I passed 4 or 5 people and just before I finished I saw David on the left side of the finish area with a huge smile on his face, screaming for me to finish strong. Well I finished but I don't think it was strong. I was totally spent. I hurt all over. The nice thing was that it was absolutely spectacular on top. It had to be 60 degrees with no wind and 100% sun shine. David quickly ran over to me and uttered the 5 words he has been dieing to use on me "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG". He earned the right to use those words. David had ripped off a 1:23!!! This was his first attempt at running up the mountain. However he had biked up it twice, with a PR of 1:21. I bet he has one of the fastest combined times ever.

Mim ran over to us and got us to our bags. We quickly changed and relaxed. What a day, we were on top of the world at a location that claims the worst weather on earth and it was warm and sunny. What more could you ask for?

Soon Mim's third runner showed up, Eric Johnson and he was happy with his effort. By 2:30 we were heading back down the mountain and would be one of the first cars back in the field. I had done some planing for this and brought a cooler which had cup holders built into it and 2 deck chairs. We both secured our meals and enjoyed them while relaxing behind my Xtera.



My splits:

Mile Time Heart Rate
1 9:18 169
2 11:55 174
3 13:39 169
4 13:17 168
5 14:44 168
6 14:22 165
7 13:59 165
7.6 12:44 167

Official time was 1:38:00, my watch clocked me in at 1:37:57. Either way I finished.

Remember get those 2 x 4's ready.

12 comments:

  1. Great race Scotty but yes, you deserve a good beating if your run this again. And I'm sure you're going to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scotty, that is a classic picture of pain...I saw that last night and had to go and get Kristin to come in and see it....just classic. Maybe your back was bothering you from all that extra weight you were carrying up the hill (with that laptop strapped on your wrist)... Good job on grinding through it though...that takes guts! I noticed you forgot to add Cranmore, Loon, and Ascutney on your schedule...a simple mistake...don't forget ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, there may be a beating in my future and I expect you to lead the mob.

    JJ, Funny you should mention those races. NOPE, not going to happen. Next weekend I'm relaxing out on the lake with a clear view of Mt Washington 50 miles away. Looking forward to reading your account of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scotty, quit is a word I don't want to hear from you. See you at the 50th! By the way, if you haven't checked out JJ's photo's (taken by the talented and lovely Kristen) there are a few shots of me that may be PHAT worthy.
    DQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, you have to swap out that photo on the top of your blog w/ that one that Scott Mason took...it is just TOO damn classic to limit to just this entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, you are definitely PHAT in those photos.

    JJ...DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha! NICE!...thats got to be the best race photo I've seen all year...hands down! It's better to come in looking like that and emptying the tank than to come strolling in fumbling with your ipod, talking, smiling, and waving to the crowd... that's my take on it :)... Scotty do you need directions to Cranmore for this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott, the header photo looks great! That was one of my favourite shots from the rockpile, it is definitely worth a thousand words.

    I hope i don't look that way next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott, nice write up on MW. How do you run so fast!? and up?! You guys are all awesome. I am completing the mt. circuit; no way I will ride the pine for the 50th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, that is the best picture I have seen in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice run and nice line from your post, "All I could see was my feet on the ground as my head hung down while I continued my slow tutelage up the mountain."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Job Scott! I ran that race only once. Everyone said shoot for your half marathon time. Yea, right. I think I was about 10 minutes slower than my half marathon time and in misery for the entire climb. I didn't need 2X4's to keep me from doing it again!

    ReplyDelete