Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Age Before Youth

Last Saturday I went over to the 1st Annual New Durham Parks & Rec 5k. I figured that it would be a small race because it appeared on CoolRunning just a couple of weeks ago. I was right, only 82 people had entered. Now the question was which of the local kids were going to take the race. I knew the course because 10 years ago they held a race on this same course. As I recall back then I had just turned 40 and on that day I was beaten by a 14 year old girl in the final kick. My wife said I was impossible to talk for a couple of hours after the race. Since then I've learned to accept the challenges from the youth and make sure it doesn't come down to a sprint, no matter what the gender is.

For such a small race I was surprised to see that Dave Camire from Yankee Timing was there working the race. So I knew the times and finishing spots would be accurate.

The race started right on time and like a flash a couple of young kids took it out fast. The lead group also included a guy with a NH State Police shirt who I've seen before and in other races I've always reeled him back in after a mile. Lastly there was a guy with a "Blazing Turtles" shirt t-shirt in the lead group.

I just let the group go for the first 1/2 mile then I would start picking off people as they slowed. First came the guy in the NH State Police shirt at the mile mark. Next came two of the young kids before we hit the 1.5 mile mark. Next I caught the last kid at about the 2 mile mark. I noticed that I was starting to run down Mr "Blazing Turtle" but he had over a 200 yards on me and I was running out of road. At 2.5 miles I realized that I was not going to catch him and I peeked over my shoulder and noticed I had over 100 yard lead on the next guy. I pushed with all I had left but wasn't panicking. I ended up 2nd over all and 1st in to 50 - 59 age category.

I spent a few minutes talking to the winner who was a really nice guy from New Durham. He was 41 years old and he had his whole family running the race. I love seeing that kind of family activity. Anyway, at the awards ceremony they announced the winners in each age category and gave them a certificate. When they got to me they made a big deal that I was 50 years old and finished 2nd. I received the standard certificate and because I finished 2nd they gave me a gift card to a local hardware store. They announced that I was #2 to which I replied "I've been called worst"!! The crowd and announcer had a good chuckle.

My time was slow by my standards. I really running tight lately. I'm going to have to start stretching more at night to get more flexible. Next up is the last race in the Westford Academy Summer Series. I'm running this as a fun run because on Sunday is the Timberman 1/2 Ironman that I know I'll be in way over my head with.

1 comment:

  1. Do you still do that PSX (something like that) training system that you were doing before Boston?
    2nd place-nice race!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete