Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Run UP Mt Major

I woke up in Gilford on Monday and decided I needed to get a good workout in. So I decided to head over to Alton and run up to the top of Mt Major. Mt Major is not a difficult climb but I figured that if I wore my snowshoes I'd get a good workout in. As I entered the parking lot there was a guy closing up his car and was heading towards the Orange marked trail which I later discovered was called the "Rock Trail". I figured that I had never been up the mountain that way so once I got my SS's on I'd head up that trail. About 10 minutes later I was ready to roll. I decided to use my ice cleats because the trails were packed by snowmobiles and with all the warm then cold temperatures they'd be rock hard. I started with a slow jog to warm up then slowly but surely I picked it up. As I ran, I kept a lookout for the guy who headed up before me. After about 20 minutes I was at a point on the trail where there were loads of boulders and the sun had melted most of the snow so the conditions were hammering my SS's. After about 35 minutes I reached the summit. But nobody was up there. The skies were crystal clear and Mt Washington stood out.

I the fore ground you can see Sleeper Island and Rattlesnake Island.

I decided to sit on the rocks and suck down a Hammer Gel before I made the trek back down the mountain when I heard some voices. Four people came up the face of the mountain. They were all in their 60's and 70's. I began talking to them and asked them what trail they had come up. One of the guys responded "Oh that's Art's trail". I had never heard of that trail so I inquired about it. "That guy over there is Art, and he wanted a quicker way up and down the mountain so he cut his own trail", one of the hikers responded. I then started talking to Art and asked him how often he climbed the mountain. He responded "3 to 4 times". So I'm thinking 3 to 4 times in the winter, but that would be selling this 70 year old very short. He climbs the mountain 3 to 4 times a day!!! He said it's how he stays in shape. WOW, I'm hoping that I can still walk when I'm 70. I hooked up with this group and they showed me Art's trail. It sure was the quick way down the mountain, I don't think it made a single turn, until it hit the main trail 100 yards from the bottom.

It was a great day for a hike and I'm glad I got the chance to meet Art.

2 comments:

  1. When I grow up I want to be just like Art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No goal NOT to fall on this hike???
    Things must be looking up for you, Scotty!

    ReplyDelete