Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kingman Farm moonlight Snowshoe 5k - Random Thoughts

Now that a couple days have passed, some things have popped into my head about this race.


1. I got a chance to meet Laurel. Her and I have run all the same SS races this year including the GSSS and Beaver Brook. However her next race has the number 100 in its name so you won't find me there. Good luck Laurel.


2. I didn't fall during the race. Hey I have to find my victories where ever I can. I've now managed to stay up right at 3 of the 8 snowshoe races I've run this year. Seeing that falling at the start of Kingman Farm could have been fatal this was a very good thing.


3. I ended up walking. ARRRRG!! I'm guessing I went out way to fast and just burnt myself up early on in the race. Steve Wolfe's video of the race on Have2run shows me in 2nd place after the first 100 yards or so. Not good.


4. Snowshoe racing is so much different then road racing. I think that every person who ran the race stayed for the awards ceremony. There seems to be a much closer bond between all the athletes, no matter if you a big dawg (Jim Johnson) or just someone out for moonlight stroll.


5. Race Director Chris Dunn should get race director of the year. He makes the races challenging while at the same time keeps them fun. And if you don't win something in the raffle after the race you sure have bad luck. Almost everyone walks away with something. There were 2 grand prizes at Kingman Farm. The first was a pair of FlightDeck snowshoes from Kahtoola. Very Nice!!! The 2nd and most people considered this the real GRAND price was a years worth of beer from Red Hook. There was one very lucky person who left the race very happy.


6. I beat DoubleJ at two things that day. First, I beat him to the race. Second, I passed him on the highway on the way home. I guess my Silver streak Xtera is more aerodynamic then his bumble bee yellow Xtera. Once again I got to get my wins where I can.

7. The people from Dungeon Rock Racing are a great group of people. Over the past 2 years I've been privileged to get to know many of them and they are fun loving, and hard racing. I wish them continued success over the years. As long as they finish 2nd to acidotic RACING!!

8. The people from acidotic Racing are also a lot of fun and race so hard that I'm 20th string on this team. That only gives me more fuel to get better.

9. For all my hard work and dedication to snowshoeing this year I treated myself to this when I got home after the race. I just love ice cream!!!

10. P90X training started Sunday so no more ice cream :-(

Lastly, one word of advise. "Keep your snowshoes below your head at all times"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment