Monday, January 19, 2009

Beaver Brook 5K Snowshoe race


Forecast for today Pain....Heavy At Times.

So after I published my Pooh Hill snowshoe race report last week ROAG decided that a group of us would head up to Hollis, NH for Beaver Brook.  This patch of woods is not unknown to ROAG, as the ROAG crew has snowshoed through here a couple of times.  But there is a big difference between a hike in the woods on snowshoes and a race through the woods on snowshoes.

I decided to arrive at the race site 1.5 hours before the race.  This was to view the course and get a good workout in.  When I arrived the race director had just finished running the course and set the course record at just over 28 minutes.  This would not hold up.  And he announced that the course was just over 2.8 miles.  Seeing that I ran over 10 minute miles last week I wanted to improve on that pace.  So I put on some Yaktrax on my shoes and took a tour of the course.  A quick side note, if you've never tried Yaktrax, give them a shot.  They are super for running on ice and snow.  Anyway I headed out on the course and the first 1/2 mile is all down hill.  This I quickly took note of because it was an out and back course, and I would be climbing this hill on the way back.  After that the course was flat and fast to the turn around point, which I hit at 10:45.  On the way back I hit the final hill and boy oh boy it was a lot tougher then I thought.  I finished the run at 21:30, a perfect even split.  Now could I run faster with snowshoes on?  In addition I learned that the real start of the races was 100+ yards away across an untracked field.  So the start should get the heart rate up very FAST.  As I walked back to my car Rob Smith was getting out of his car and was heading out for a warm up run.  Rob was looking fit and had a big smile on his face.

Time to warm up and get into my race outfit in my car.   Base layer, hot Chillies shirt and a ROAG vest.  Some Hammer Gel down the throat with some G2 Gatorade and my favorite IBP 600mg.  Topped off by my fleece hat and a pair of Oakley's.   I was ready.  ROAG was there in force

Carlos
Frank
Pete
Joe
David
Mike
Warren
Norm
Bryan
Moi

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

All had their game face on and were ready to fly.  Time for a team picture.  We were looking GOOD!



There were around 50 people signed up and 10 of use were ROAG.  Great showing.

The race director called us to the line.  The group is in good spirits and ready to fly.  I line up next to Rob and introduce him to David and explain the connection with David and Joe Karner to Rob.  Time to get serious.  I take my place and get ready to go.  The race director counts down and says GO!!  We're off, well that is most of the people are off.  I took 2 steps and tripped and crashed to the ground.  I hear someone yell "Hey Scotty's down".  As I scramble to get up I yell "And He's UP AGAIN"!!!  I'm now running in catch up mode.  I quickly pass a bunch of people but as we turn the corner onto the trail I'm running in approx 20th place.  I notice that Mike O when out fast.  How fast you ask, He's leading the race.  HE'S PSYCHO!!    I start making my move and I'm passing people at a stead pace.  One after another I catch them and shat them out the back side.  Now I'm running side by side with Rob and the leaders are 20 yards ahead of us.
 As we make our way through the trails, we're pulling away from the main pack.  I'm running smooth but I know that Rob is a much stronger runner then me.  We reach the turn around point and Rob has pulled 10 yards ahead of me and he's chasing down the leader.  I'm now running in 5th, but I notice that Kara is only 10 yards behind me.  I'm in trouble.  Kara is fast and has been running really strong over the last couple of months.  I decide to try to surge to try and break her but she's now right on my tail.  At the 3/4 mark Kara makes her move on me and I can't respond.  Now I'm hearing another guy behind me.  One thing about snowshoe races is they make a lot of noise so there is no sneaking up on people.  I'm climbing the final hill now and hanging on for dear life.  My lungs are screaming and my legs are not responding.  HANG ON BABY!!!   I can see the finish, please don't make this a sprint to the finish.  I power up the final hill and hold on for 6th place.

My lungs are burning.   I learn that Rob won the race.  Rob was very modest about the win and so was Kara.  Both are great people.  I then went back to the finish line and ROAG starts coming in.  First David, then Mike, Peter, Warren, after that I just can't remember.  David had this nice string of drool hanging off his chin.  Everyone was hurting and couldn't believe what happens out there in snowshoes but all were happy they did the race.
 
Coolrunning.com should have the results later today.

After a few minutes I went out on a cool down run with Rob, Kara and one other guy.  Come to find out the other guy was raised in my home town of Chelmsford.  We ran the course one more time.  So I ended up running it 3 times.  Once in Yaktrax and twice in snowshoes.  As soon as we finished the cool down run the race director gave out the awards.  Winners of the race and winners of age categories got beaver mugs.  Unfortunately the age category I fell into was the 40 - 55 group, so no beaver mug for me.  Next was the prize raffle.  They called every number around mine but no #143.  I think Brian, Norm and Warren walked away with prizes.   NICE!!

I will boldly declare A Good Time Was Had By All.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great race, I'm a little disappointed I missed it. Ah, but we'll all get together at Cobble for the next lung-busting adventure!
    PS: what the heck is a ROAG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROAG is about 60 middle aged guys who live and play (hard) in Westford, MA. The group grew out of a modest start of 2 or 3 guys who trained together for the PMC bike ride. From that point the group grew in size and activities. Now they bike, mtn bike, run, snowshoe, swim, do the PMC, cross country ski, down hill ski, you name the outdoor activity and you'll find ROAG boys taking part. What does ROAG stand for? Roudenbush Outdoor Athletic Group. Roudenbush is a community center in town where we meet up to go on many of our bike rides.

    The boys get together at least 3 times during the week and both days on the weekend. Of course we are all married with kids and not the same people get together at every event so it's a really nice mix of people.

    ReplyDelete